Looking for a Job This Fall? Here are Some Search Tips -HW Staffing Solutions


Most accidents occur in a split second, and depending on the severity, they could be life-changing. Personalized protective equipment will protect you in the workplace where you’re most vulnerable—your eyes, head, hands, and feet. If there’s an accident, you can always replace your hard hat, safety goggles, or gloves, but you can’t replace a piece of you.

Here are some tips to familiarize you with personal protective equipment.

Tip #1: Protect your vision

To be on the lookout for hazards, you need to protect your eyesight. There are over 2,000 eye injuries a day in the US. And most of those accidents are totally preventable with goggles, safety glasses, and face shields. They’re available in different styles—some with side shields, some that can fit over prescription glasses, and some that don’t fog up—so if you don’t like the ones you wear, try another style. If they’re scratched or damaged in any way, they should be replaced.

Tip #2: Wear your hard hat

Your head is your most valuable body part, so protect it! A hard hat is designed to safeguard your head and absorb the impact of a blow. It’s adjustable, so make sure yours fits your head. It needs to be comfortable and stay on your head when you bend over or move quickly.

Tip #3: Take care of those hands

Always wear gloves when you’re dealing with things that are hot, sharp, or corrosive. Roughly 70% of workers with hand injuries weren’t wearing gloves at the time, and the other 30% were wearing the wrong kind of gloves. Use the kind that are strong enough to protect your skin against whatever you’re working with—chemicals, sharp knives, or extremely hot objects. If your gloves wear thin, become sticky or thin, or develop a hole or tear, they should be thrown away. Gloves need to fit snugly. If they’re too loose, you risk them falling off or getting snagged on a piece of equipment. Too tight and they might cut off your circulation.

Tip #4: Protect your toes

Safety boots protect your feet from objects that are sharp, heavy, corrosive, or wet. Most have reinforced toes in case something falls onto your toes. Certain brands have extra material to protect the tops of your feet as well. Some have puncture resistant soles, and others are liquid-proof so your feet don’t get wet or damaged by dangerous chemicals. Other boots have slip-resistant soles with extra traction. If they’re worn or damaged, they won’t do their job, so you should get a new pair.

Are you looking for a new job?

Your company should have a list of the PPE that are required for your job, either by your industry or your company. Be aware of the hazards on your job, it only takes a second to change your life. But with the right safety equipment, you can at least minimize the impact of the injury or accident. If you’re looking for a new job, check out these great jobs around the country and apply today!